- Time each day when children were encouraged to write about topics of their choosing.
- Folders in which they kept their draft materials and lots of writing materials.
- Opportunities for the children to share their writing with others when the need arose.
- Individual teacher conferences for children when needed (but at least weekly).
- Varied opportunities for the children to publish and share their writing with larger audiences.
- Help with publishing when the young writers wanted to pit their work into some more permanent form.
"Well, it was like Chlorissa. (She wrote about) that book (The Enchanted Wood) that had children who moved to the country. I changed it around."